-->

9.30.2010

Believe

 This post goes out to all my Raider cheerleading family members (current ones, past ones, and parents of both)...

I just concluded the first cheerleading tryout ever at Marianas High School.  One alum of MHS and now current teacher told me yesterday, she doesn't think there's ever been real cheerleading in the whole Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands!  I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm very happy to be starting a program at Marianas.  The 47 girls and boys that tried out are precious, and I will post more once decisions have been given out as to how everything went. 

However, as I sit here getting decision letters ready to give out tomorrow, I start to reflect on my time coaching at HCHS.  It was too quiet, so I started playing my "Believe" playlist on my iTouch.  This playlist includes all the cheesy songs, and I do mean cheesy, I put together for the members of the 2009-2010 Varsity Competition Cheerleaders.  Our theme that year was, "Everything is possible to she who BELIEVES!"  And, then Miley Cyrus had to come on, and the tears just start flowing!!!

It's 4:00 in the morning in Georgia, so I can't call any of y'all, reminisce, and share my tears, so I decided to blog about it instead.  Just know that each of you is missed and thought of on a regular basis, especially right now.  As I am bawling like a baby and listening to "The Climb" on repeat, I wanted to ask, have you ever really listened to the words?
 
The struggles I'm facing, the chances I'm taking
sometimes might knock me down but, no, I'm not breaking.
I may not know it, but these are the moments that I'm going to remember most.
Just gotta keep going
And I, I gotta be strong, just keep pushing on....
There's always gonna be another mountain; I'm always gonna want to make it move.
Always gonna be an uphill battle, sometimes I'm gonna have to lose.
Ain't about how fast I get there, ain't about what's waiting on the other side...
It's the climb!

To my seniors, you are now officially college freshmen (where did the time go?!), and I know you have already had to make tough decisions, have had your beliefs tested, and ridden emotional roller coasters.  Enjoy this journey--every part of it.  Take it all in, and realize that you are a stronger person when you come out on the other side of a situation, regardless of the outcome.  Also, please know that Elger misses each of you and loves you all beyond measure!  To the juniors (now seniors), I am so proud of each of you and the leadership you are giving the 2010-2011 team.  Remember that patience is a virtue, and leading by example (on and off the mat) is expected.  Know that I am there with you in spirit during your senior year, and I love each of you dearly!  To the freshmen (now sophomores), how different is this year than last?!  You aren't the youngest anymore, and with that comes new responsibility.  Trust in yourselves and each other.  Continue to grow in this sport and work hard off the mat.  I miss the three of you, and I hope to coach you again one day! 

To all of my girls (and yes, when you are 50 years old, you will still be my girls), believe everything is possible you set your mind to, and you will accomplish greatness. 

Thanks for letting me share my cry-fest, y'all.  "Turn My Swag On" is now playing, and "Party in the USA" just ended, so I'm feeling much better.

Love to each of you,
Elger

2 comments:

  1. Love & hugs to you!!! Can't wait to show the blog to the girls when they get home. You will always be special to them (us) :) Mackenzie & I were just listening to that CD a couple of days ago. I love "the jerk" and Party in the USA always makes me think of Dawn dancing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheesy is the right word! Thanks for having me remember the old Miley! :) I sang it as I read "The Climb"

    ReplyDelete