-->

10.19.2010

S-P-I-R-I-T, Got Spirit? Let’s Hear It!


Marianas High School is now the home of a cheerleading program! 

Over 40 students came to try-outs three weeks ago (including two guys).  None of them had any experience with cheerleading.  We worked for three afternoons learning basic technique, a chant, and a cheer.  Originally, I was only going to keep about 10, but the more I thought about it, I realized that wasn’t fair.  How could I cut someone after only three days of coaching?  So, I decided to keep everyone who tried out and use the women’s basketball season as an extended try-out period.  I split them up on three different teams (blue, gold, and white) based on their ability to learn the material and raw talent.

 The Monday following try-outs, we had our first practice, which was then followed by our first game.  They only learned words to chants and cheers—no motions yet.  When we entered the gym, they were all so pumped!  After we said our first chant, the student sections next to us and across the gym stood and clapped for us!  It was adorable!  On Wednesday, we had another practice and another game.  During practice, they learned the motions to all the words they learned on Monday.  Some picked up quicker than others!  During the JV women’s game, the blue team cheered the first half.  They were so nervous, but the energy was electric!  Again, after they finished every chant, the student section clapped for them.  The gold team had their half, and then the white team cheered the first half of the varsity game.  Before varsity took the floor, we made a tunnel for the players, chanting, “Lady Dolphins!”  All of the students joined in at the end of the tunnel, which ended up stretching the width of the court.  All in all, my “girls and guys” had a blast at their first real game cheering, and I had an incredible time coaching them.

Speaking of coaching, in Saipan, if you are a female over the age of 20, you are called “Miss.”  If you are a man over the age of 20, you are called “Mister.”  The word “Coach” isn’t a part of the normal vocabulary.  One of our first “coach to athlete talks” addressed this.  I said in class, call me “Miss,” but outside, please call me “Coach.”  Slowly but surely, they are working on changing their norm!  With their decision letter, each athlete was given a cheerleader information form, asking demographic information, class schedule, and other “get-to-know-you” type questions.  I asked them what was the farthest place they have traveled away from Saipan, and some have never been off island.   All 42 of my cheerleaders, with the exception of two, speak a language other than English in their homes.  They are all working hard academically, involved inside and outside of school, and some even have part-time jobs.   I am one lucky coach!  Go Dolphins!!!

1 comment:

  1. awww... love this! what a fabulous experience... both for the kids and for you. so exciting! miss you guys. xoxo

    ReplyDelete