-->

3.04.2011

Who knew that could be so much fun?!

As many of you can tell, we are thoroughly enjoying our time in Saipan.  Not only do we adore our kids we teach, our lives outside of school, and our wonderful home, we have taken much better care of ourselves.  This was our main goal for this year...to make our health a priority.  We've accomplished this by eating healthier, drinking lots more water, and exercising.  Joey has found his niche with soccer.  I have found mine with running.  When we arrived on Saipan, Joey and I would run after school.  Our training regiment was to run 2 minutes and walk 2 minutes.  I could barely make it to the end of the 2 minutes and dreaded the next run after our 2 minute rest.  Something happened, though, and I began to really love running.  It's easy to do when you have a beautiful ocean to look at and wonderful tunes rocking (my favorite being the World Cup 2010 soundtrack...just brings back such amazing memories!).  Having run my first 5K in December, I decided to start training for my first 10K.  With the help of Becky Iseman (who came up with my training schedule) and Brian O'Laughlin (who has been my running partner on several occasions), I have made it.  Tomorrow is the big day!  My goal is to finish but more importantly, enjoy myself.  Who knew running (and exercising, for that matter) could be so much fun?

Another activity that I haven't found fun in quite some time is reading.  Sorry, former English teachers, but I don't think I ever kept my secret that well.  I just didn't find pleasure in reading, and I certainly never made time to read when we lived in Habersham.  Without internet and TV at home, one finds time to do a lot of things, and reading has become one of them for me.  What makes all of this even better is that there are these places that you can get books for weeks at a time for FREE!  They're called LIBRARIES!  They have amazing selections of books and even people to help you with what to read.  I'm now reading on average 3 books every month (the really thick ones!), and I'm actually loving it!  I just finished "The Help," and if you haven't read it, please do!  You'll laugh and cry, even if you're not an authentic Southerner.  Who knew reading could be so much fun?

While I haven't cooked another gourmet feast, I am still cooking...and loving it!  I feel confident enough to cook without using recipes and experiment with flavors.  A few times, I've made some flops, but for the most part, my gastro-concoctions have been pretty good.  Let me put it this way, Joey and I aren't losing any weight!  We try to eat at home most nights, and even after a long day of work, practice, and running, I know that a healthy and delicious meal can be ready in just a few minutes.  Who knew cooking could be so much fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment